2.13.2012

Wild & Free

Nevada Wild Horses, Beth Hemmila


Last week I shared some pictures from my trip out to the Northern Nevada desert where we were greeted by these three magnificent wild horses. They just stood there all curious, watching us for quite awhile while we silently watched back.



Wild & Free, Beth Hemmila: sterling silver free spirit horse charm


I designed a necklace that echos every bit of this amazing day out in the wilderness using my Free Spirit horse charm and the subtle colors found in the nooks and crannies of Nevada's landscape.



Wild & Free, Beth Hemmila: sterling silver free spirit horse charm, emerald, tourmaline, apatite, and peridot


Using emerald, mixed tourmaline, apatite, and peridot, through gemstones I remembered the blue sky over head, bright green lichen on stones, rose quartz emerging out of the earth, and the yellow sun on my face.



Wild & Free, Beth Hemmila: sterling silver free spirit horse charm, emerald, tourmaline, apatite, and peridot


This necklace was particularly fun to make because I used little bits of scrap chain that were random lengths and linked them together with one of my favorite wire-wrapped connections.



Wild & Free, Beth Hemmila: emerald, tourmaline, apatite, and peridot

The triple wire-wrapped gems are all placed at irregular intervals around the chain like little party lights. This necklace is fun to wear because I made it 22-24 inches so its perfect for donning over sweaters or with T-shirts for it feels both dressy and casual all at the same time.

Free Spirit is one of my favorite Hint Jewelry charms, and I'm so happy to finally have a necklace in my personal collection that I want to wear every day.

5 comments:

  1. gorgeous! love the delicacy--yes, the little beads remind me of lanterns! love the triple wrapping. it really makes them look like tiny light bulbs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a beautiful necklace! It truly captures the wild annd free essence of the high Northern Nevada desert. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for enjoying this piece and seeing how it connects with the environment!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love for you to share your ideas and stories on my blog! Please know that I may not always be able to e-mail you a direct response, so be sure to check back to my blog and continue the dialogue. Many blessings for connecting with me through word and image :)