3.21.2012

Empathy Documentary Project: Newt Bailey


What does empathy feel like? A little less then 3 minutes into this video Newt Bailey, a Nonviolent Communication (NVC) coach and trainer from the San Francisco Bay area, uses this incredible metaphor of surfing to explain the concept of empathy and what it feels like to be connected with another person in this way. Equally valuable is his explanation of understanding when to choose to be on or off someone's wave and when to choose silent empathy over speaking.

Chapter 14 of my e-book Lemonade Mantras explores practicing empathy for others and in particular embracing self-empathy and silent empathy as a way to connect with others.

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed watching this video. I hope I can apply some of his empathy principles in my everyday life.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love for you to share your ideas and stories on my blog! Please know that I may not always be able to e-mail you a direct response, so be sure to check back to my blog and continue the dialogue. Many blessings for connecting with me through word and image :)