4.30.2012

Free Jewelry Making Tutorial: Ear Wires

Beth Hemmila (Hint Jewelry): sterling silver rabbit charm earrings

When I design earrings I usually make very simple homemade French ear wires out of sterling silver like the one's pictured above. It's so much more fun then using store bought ear wires. Mainly I chose this particular French ear wire design because it's comfortable and understated. Also, when I was selling earrings in Hint Jewelry's shop I was confident that I could make matching sets so as to create consistency. I still love my little homemade ear wire jig that I describe how to make in this previous blog post.

However, there are so many awesome ear wire designs out there that I thought I'd share a few free tutorials I found that might inspire you to try some new ideas.

Deryn Mentock from Something Sublime shares this wonderful free ear wire tutorial that uses bailing pliers to get that big round curve that makes her designs so luscious. She also shares some tips about how to smooth out those nasty metal snags that could injure your ear.

Vicki Potter from Orion Designs has a free ear wire tutorial that I like because she has a little decorative loop on the back. You'll have to check it out to see what I mean; however, that tiny bit adds a distinctive elegance to her design.

Anastassia Designs has a really cool almond shaped ear wire tutorial on her blog. These are so modern and stylish. You also have to see the almond shaped earrings in her shop that she has pounded flat for more inspiration.

Here's a video tutorial by Beading on a Budget that is interesting for it shows how to make two simple hoop ear wires at the same time so they match. Special tools that she uses are a mandrel and a dremel for removing burrs.

The last video tutorial is by Lisa Lovelies which is a simple French ear wire, but she has some great tips on customizing them to make your earrings look professional.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for all the tutorials! I'm saving this post for future referance.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for all the links. This is on my to do list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you saw some ideas you might use or adapt to your liking!

      Delete
  3. Thank you for sharing these ... I'm inspired to make my own ear wires!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Beth.... I needed these links!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love for you to share your ideas and stories on my blog! Please know that I may not always be able to e-mail you a direct response, so be sure to check back to my blog and continue the dialogue. Many blessings for connecting with me through word and image :)