4.18.2012

Raw Foodie Sugar Substitute: Agave Nectar

alternative sweetener: agave nectar

When I started making raw food dishes, I was quickly introduced to this amazing sweetener -- agave nectar. If you haven't tried it before, and you are looking for a sugar substitute this stuff is amazing. You can put agave nectar in tea, hot breakfast cereal, salad dressings, sauces, and smoothies.

I find that there is none of that aftertaste that comes with sugar which ends up with me either craving salty junk food or more sugar. It's really satisfying and light. I also prefer flavor of agave nectar better then stevia and honey. It comes in two varieties -- light or dark -- and you can find it at your local health food store or Whole Foods. 

Here's what they have to say about the health benefits of eating agave nectar:

The carbohydrate in agave nectar has a low glycemic index, which provides sweetness without the unpleasant "sugar rush" and unhealthful blood sugar spike caused by many other sugars. Agave nectar is a delicious natural sweetener that can be used moderately - by dieters, some diabetics, and health conscious cooks - to replace high-glycemic and refined sugars. - www.allaboutagave.com

5 comments:

  1. Normally our tiny grocery is the last to have new products like this, and many times they don't have it at all. But just the other day I noticed agave nectar in the sugar section. I wanted to try it but wasn't sure how to use it. Thanks for the information. Now to get hubby to go for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alice, I think you're going to really enjoy it! Oh and your hubby too. Maybe sneak it in a dressing or coffee? Thanks for enjoying this post.

      Delete
  2. I love this stuff. I agree, not as "sweet" as honey or stevia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beth, I've seen this at the grocery store, and almost bought it instead of Stevia the other day, but I was unfamiliar with it and unsure how to use it. I make a decaf coffee drink in the mornings with ice, and this might be really good with that instead of the powered Stevia I'm using now. Does it have a "herbal" taste, or honey-like - or is it okay in a coffee-based drink?
    Thanks for sharing about this!
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to describe. The light one is really mild with almost no aftertaste. It's really smooth and doesn't have any honey or herbal flavor to me. I don't drink coffee anymore, but I think it might be really tasty. The amber one tastes a little bit more like maple syrup. Have fun trying it!

      Delete

I'd love for you to share your ideas and stories on my blog! Please know that I may not always be able to e-mail you a direct response, so be sure to check back to my blog and continue the dialogue. Many blessings for connecting with me through word and image :)