5.02.2012

Raw Food Recipe: Chocolate Cherry Gingerbread Cookies

chocolate gingerbread cherry raw food cookie recipe
chocolate cherry gingerbread raw food cookie

I'm no longer a dessert junkie, but I do miss my sweets. Especially chocolate! Making raw food desserts was my way of dealing with this craving for sugar, and from my experiments I found that they're actually pretty delicious.

When I feel particularly inspired, I'll browse through one of my old cookbooks and try transforming cookies or other baked goods into a raw food dessert. Many times the outcome is something extremely satisfying and energy boosting. One bite of these cookies and you'll realize that you have all the fixin's to make your own twist on a PowerBar.

Raw Food Recipe: Chocolate Cherry Gingerbread Cookies
Servings: Approximately 12 small cookies

1/2 cup raw walnuts
1/2 cup raw almonds
2 medjool dates pitted and chopped
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
2 teaspoons carob powder
1 1/2 - 2 teaspoons fresh ginger  (not powdered)
Pinch of salt
2 teaspoons amber agave nectar or honey
2 tablespoons dried cherries (or cranberries)

  1. In a food processor, mix the walnuts and almonds to a flour-like consistency.
  2. Add chopped dates, coconut oil, and then mix.
  3. Add cinnamon, carob powder, fresh ginger, salt, and then mix. Periodically use a spatula to scrape down the sides of the food processor to make sure the spices are mixed throughout.
  4. Add the agave nectar and blend until it looks like cookie dough. 
  5. Add the dried cherries and pulse until they are slightly chopped and distributed evenly throughout the dough.
  6. Refrigerate the cookie dough until firm and then roll into balls.
  7. Roll balls in chopped walnuts for a final garnish.

I found inspiration for this raw food dessert from the Chocolate Gingerbread recipe found in Family Living Classics: Our Favorite Cookies. This is an example of taking a traditional recipe and adapting it to the raw food diet.

4 comments:

  1. This sounds yummy. I'm going to a raw foods pot luck soon and I would love to try this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun! I'd love to hear about what goodies you dig into at your potluck :)

      Delete
  2. They sound delicious! Gonna have to try these...; )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh boy, another addiction coming on...gonna have to make these tomorrow! thanks for sharing, Beth.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love for you to share your ideas and stories on my blog! Please know that I may not always be able to e-mail you a direct response, so be sure to check back to my blog and continue the dialogue. Many blessings for connecting with me through word and image :)