5.09.2012

Raw Food Recipe: Curried Cucumber Salad

cucumber salad raw food radish curry cilantro recipe
curried cucumber salad

Sometimes in the summer I'll eat a cold soup like gazpacho, but more often then not I'd rather chew on a salad instead. Nevertheless, a lot of raw food cookbooks include cold soups to add variety to your diet and perhaps offer a new texture or dining experience.

To not miss out on the flavors that these soups offer, I've been changing cold soup recipes into salads. Here's an example of one of my favorite cold soup recipes that I adapted and transformed into a salad.

Have you tried this before? What's your favorite cold soup that could become a salad instead?


Raw Food Recipe: Curried Cucumber Salad
Serves: 1 or 2

1 cucumber peeled and sliced (approx. 2 cups)
2 radishes sliced
2 tablespoons cilantro chopped

Dressing:
1/8 cup olive oil
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon Tamari
1 clove garlic minced
1/4 teaspoon curry powder
1/2 teaspoon agave nectar or honey

  1. Add sliced vegetables to a bowl and toss.
  2. Mix all dressing ingredients in separate bowl. Adjust seasonings to taste.
  3. Drizzle dressing on top of the salad, toss, and serve.

This salad was inspired and adapted from the recipe "Curried Cucumber Soup" found in 1 Stock, 100 Soups: Take 1 Basic Recipe and Make 100 Kinds of Soup by Linda Doeser. 

4 comments:

  1. OH! This looks lovely! I have to admit I'm not a cold soup fan, except for occasional gazpacho....I'd rather have something freshly juiced...and my man has a hard time adapting to salad recipes that don't include lettuce and our go-to homemade balsamic vinaigrette.

    I love traditional or Asian inspired cucumber salads but he usually turns up his nose. I may give this a try tonight since we both love curry and I'm always anxious to find a way to prepare fresh raw foods that he will enjoy.

    Love your recipe ideas, Beth! Keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barbara! I'm glad you like this idea of changing cold soup to salad. I like the curry in this one because it made cucumber seem like a whole new dining experience :) Have fun trying it out. xoxo Beth

      Delete
  2. LOVE this recipe, Beth! I am definitely going to try it... I just can't feed it to William! He's allergic to anything green. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Oh yeah, he's got that green allergy too :) Have fun experimenting with this recipe! xoxo Beth

      Delete

I'd love for you to share your ideas and stories on my blog! Please know that I may not always be able to e-mail you a direct response, so be sure to check back to my blog and continue the dialogue. Many blessings for connecting with me through word and image :)