5.30.2012

Raw Food Recipe: Faux Beef Noodle Salad

raw food salad mock beef noodle jicama recipe vegetarian
faux beef noodle salad

The most difficult meat for me to give up eating is beef. When I abandoned a vegetarian diet back in my twenties, the tantalizing smell and flavor of beef on the grill is what drew me back to eating meat again.

Nevertheless, anyone who has tasted a deeply marinated portabello mushroom soaked in yummy spices and red wine vinegar fresh off the grill, can't deny that during the summer, this veggie delight can taste even better then a steak.

One way a raw foodie can replicate this beefy taste is by combining fresh mushrooms with the earthy, salty flavor of Nama Shoyu or Tamari sauce. You can usually find either one of these condiments in the Asian specialty food section of your grocery store alongside soy sauce.

My Faux Beef Noodle Salad is inspired by a warm Chinese noodle soup recipe that sounded so delicious I wanted to see if I could preserve some of that dark, earthy meat flavor in a fresh veggie dish by combining Cremini mushrooms with Nama Shoyu.

The other unique aspect of this recipe is that I substituted spiralized jicama for cooked rice noodles. You could also use fresh spiralized zucchini as noodle substitute. I like the jicama better because it automatically adds a sweetness to the salad so you don't have to add a sugar alternative to the dressing. Also, its firm texture holds up well as spiralized noodles while lending itself to absorbing the intricate flavors of this Chinese inspired dressing.

Oh by the way, I do have a Benriner spiralizer, which you can check out by clicking here, but I'm not completely happy with it. It functions and gives me some interesting textures, but not the kind of noodle-like strands I was envisioning. Whenever I decide to purchase another one I think I'm going to try this World Cuisine Tri-Blade. Spiralizers are definitely fun tools to have in the kitchen, but before you purchase one you might want to do some research on the Internet. Here are some spiralizer reviews from Pretty Smart Raw Food Ideas. Do you have a spiralizer you like? If so, be sure to share a review of your spiralizer in the comment section below this post.

Raw Food Recipe: Faux Beef Noodle Salad

Serves 1 or 2

Salad:
2 cups jicama peeled and spiralized into noodles or grated
1 cup fresh spinach sliced into thin strips
1/2 cup carrot spiralized or grated
1/2 cup celery sliced
1 or 2 green onions sliced
2 Cremini mushrooms sliced

Dressing:
1/2 cup olive oil
2 teaspoons lime juice
2 tablespoons Nama Shoyu (or Tamari)
1 or 2 cloves garlic crushed and minced
1/2 teaspoon fresh ginger finely minced
2 teaspoons dried daikon radish soaked in warm water and then minced (optional) 
2 pinches red pepper flakes

  1. Clean and prepare all the vegetables. If you don't have a spiralizer, using a cheese grater will work just as well. Layer vegetables on a plate or toss them together in a bowl. 
  2. This recipe will make enough for one big salad for one person or two small side salads for friends.
  3. Add all the dressing ingredients to a bowl and whisk together with a fork.
  4. Drizzle the dressing over the vegetables, toss, and serve.
  5. For an added garnish consider sprinkling some sesame seeds on the top to add a bit of nutty flavor.

This salad was inspired and adapted from the recipe "Beef Noodle Soup" found in 1 Stock, 100 Soups: Take 1 Basic Recipe and Make 100 Kinds of Soup by Linda Doeser. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love for you to share your ideas and stories on my blog! Please know that I may not always be able to e-mail you a direct response, so be sure to check back to my blog and continue the dialogue. Many blessings for connecting with me through word and image :)