5.20.2012

Raw Food Recipe: Lemony Pecan Wraps

Lemony Pecan Wraps

Sometimes I see a vegetarian recipe that interests me, but I don't dive in because I see a lot of cooking involved, several time consuming processes, and more ingredients then I have in the kitchen. Many times I can reduce it to my staple raw ingredients and no cooking necessary. That's what happened when I came upon this recipe for "Swiss Chard Pecan Dolmas" from Vegetarian Traditions: Favorite Recipes From My Years At The Legendary Inn Season Cafe by George Vutetakis (The Vegetarian Guy).

I kept all the same Mediterranean inspired flavors of lemon, basil, garlic, and onion, but switched out the chard for collard green leaves that I had in my refrigerator and a simple raw filling of pecan and walnuts.

Raw Food Recipe: Lemony Pecan Wraps
Serves 1 to 2

Collard greens, washed, dried, and stems removed

Filling:
1/2 cup raw pecans
1/2 cup raw walnuts
1 or 2 cloves of fresh garlic
2 tablespoons green onion chopped
2 tablespoons fresh basil
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 teaspoons Tamari

Dressing (yields about 1 cup):
3/8 cup olive oil
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 cup peeled and chopped seedless cucumber
1/2 tablespoon green onion chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons fresh basil
1 clove fresh garlic
1/4 teaspoon of salt
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Choose Additional Vegetables:
pepper (red, yellow, etc.), cucumber, mushrooms, celery, tomatoes

  1. Add all the filling ingredients to a food processor fitted with an S blade and pulse until it has a smooth paste-like consistency.
  2. Place all dressing ingredients in a blender and process until it's smooth and creamy.
  3. Take one half of a cleaned collard green leaf with the stem removed and spread some of the pecan filling across the entire length. You don't need to spread the filling very thick.
  4. Drizzle some dressing over the top of the filling on the leaf and use your knife to spread it evenly over the top.
  5. Slice up additional vegetables such as red pepper, cucumber, and mushrooms. Layer the vegetables lengthwise across the collard green leaf near the widest end.
  6. Roll up the collard leaf starting at the wider end and moving towards the tip.
  7. Serve pecan wraps with sliced vegetables on the side and extra dressing in a dish for dipping.

The dressing for this recipe was adapted from Jennifer Cornbleet's Raw Food Made Easy "Creamy Cucumber Dressing."

For more insight into George Vutetaki's book Vegetarian Traditions check out the video on his blog and hear what other people have to say about his delicious recipes

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love for you to share your ideas and stories on my blog! Please know that I may not always be able to e-mail you a direct response, so be sure to check back to my blog and continue the dialogue. Many blessings for connecting with me through word and image :)