5.24.2012

Ripping Out, Starting Over & Creating Little Miracles

hand knitted socks wool Lorna Laces
hand knitted socks, Beth Hemmila

Sometimes you have to rip something totally apart in order to finish it.

I started these socks probably five years ago and everything was running smoothly until I got halfway through the second one and started getting distracted. I kept putting it down for long periods of time, and then when I picked it back up again I couldn't find the correct place in the pattern. I had gotten severely lost and was so stubborn that I wouldn't rip the second sock out to start over even though I knew that it was the best solution. 

This stand off between me and the second sock became a test of my determination to find where I was in the pattern -- to fix it instead of starting over. I look back now at the ridiculousness of the situation for I literally spent five years with an unfinished pair of socks staring me in the face when I could have ripped it out and finished it in no time.

Sometime in April of this year my show down ended, and I ripped out the second sock and started over. In less then a month I had finished my second sock -- well, five years and one month later :)

Stubbornness is an interesting teaching to see in oneself. I don't know why I wouldn't rip that sock apart. I knew it was the right thing to do, but I just couldn't bring myself to make it happen. So I'd procrastinate and distract myself with other things. I suppose in the broken pattern of my sock there were little tidbits of my life woven in that I didn't quite want to let go of yet and unraveling it meant saying goodbye. 

Sometimes it hurts to start over, but when you're ready to begin again many times you create little miracles.

***

These knitted socks are based on the "Canal Du Midi" pattern found in Knitting on the Road: Sock Patterns for the Traveling Knitter by Nancy Bush. The hand dyed yarn I used was Lorna's Laces.

5 comments:

  1. Those socks are COOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Keep making those mistakes...LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris, so glad you like them! I feel like a little bit like I'm in OZ when I'm wearing them. No doubt there are many mistakes to embrace in the future!! Thanks for loving them and my mistakes :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe how even your stitches are! They're so tiny! (I tried knitting once, it didn't go well.) Yes, knowing when to let go of something is an important life skill! Sometimes what we think of as "giving up" on something (and thinking that's somehow wrong) is actually setting ourselves free of it, when it has started to oppress us. But the time does indeed need to be "ripe" for us to do that, so we have no regrets. Sounds like your sock was definitely ripe! haha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate wasting effort. It's a very practical thing for me. After expending so much time on a project, I feel like it's a "waste" if I undo it. Trash it. It's like admitting I made a mistake. I'm starting to learn it's okay to make mistakes. And there is wisdom gained in the process, even if the product doesn't ever come to fruition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christy, this is huge for me. I often get caught up in this concept of "wasted effort." Thanks so much for putting in that framework for me! I'm thinking it's possible I am wanting to learn that no experience is a waste :)

      Delete

I'd love for you to share your ideas and stories on my blog! Please know that I may not always be able to e-mail you a direct response, so be sure to check back to my blog and continue the dialogue. Many blessings for connecting with me through word and image :)