6.22.2012

Bohemian-Inspired Jewelry by Lorelei Eurto & Erin Siegel

Bohemian-Inspired Jewelry, Lorelei Eurto & Erin Siegel

Guess what arrived last month?!

I was so excited to finally get my copy of Bohemian-Inspired Jewelry by Lorelei Eurto and Erin Siegel. This book is rich with ideas, which isn't a surprise because these two jewelry designers are really inventors in disguise.

I'd love to see inside their heads and watch when they are tinkering away in their studios. How do they do it? How do they see the connections between color, shape, and texture and bring it all together?

You will not be disappointed by Bohemian-Inspired Jewelry, which is filled with all kinds of inspiration for how to add leather, ribbons, and cords into your jewelry designs. It's fun, funky, and I can't find one design I wouldn't want to wear out on a Saturday afternoon looking for antiques or sipping cafe au lait with friends.

One last mention that seems kind of beside the point, but if you like collecting books then you'll love the photos and formatting of this little treasure. The editors did a great job of visually laying out Bohemian-Inspired Jewelry while also communicating the feel of Bohemian-ness.

To celebrate the launch of Bohemian-Inspired Jewelry I've joined other designers in a Beading Daily Polyvore Challenge and blog party weekend.

To join in the fun, I decided to craft my own spin on one of their pieces from the book. I was inspired by the colors in Erin Siegel's necklace In the Garden. I used a similar color palette and the theme of flowers, but changed my design into a funky, dressy double wrapped friendship bracelet that can be worn and then removed. Then I designed my Bohemian Cowgirl Garden outfit on Polyvore to show you how I might wear both Erin's necklace and my bracelet. You can see the results below.

You too can design an outfit on Polyvore to enter the challenge and visit other jewelry designers during the blog party weekend by clicking on this link and getting all the details at Beading Daily.



In the Garden Redux, Beth Hemmila (Hint Jewelry): sterling silver plum blossom charm


I made a friendship bracelet using embroidery thread that also incorporated one of their design elements of braiding at either end. For how to make friendship bracelets check out free tutorials here.



In the Garden Redux, Beth Hemmila (Hint Jewelry): sterling silver plum blossom charm


To make it easy to wrap around my wrist twice and then remove, I tied a hand forged a hammered S-hook clasp to one end and some sterling silver chain to the other. For a video on how to make your own S-hook clasp check out this free tutorial here.



In the Garden Redux, Beth Hemmila (Hint Jewelry)


I mixed the funky down-to-earth feel of the embroidery thread with the elegance tiny triple wire wrapped gems in apatite, carnelian and peridot. For how to triple wire wrap gemstones check out my free tutorial here. The only difference in this bracelet is that I hammered the ends of my head pins flat instead of using a mirco torch to make tiny decorative balls.




In the Garden Redux, Beth Hemmila (Hint Jewelry): sterling silver plum blossom charm

Lastly, using embroidery thread, I tied on my favorite plum blossom charm from my shop Hint Jewelry to celebrate all the flowers in bloom. 

I loved the inspiration from Bohemian Inspired Jewelry of combining textiles with metal and gemstones to create a whole new look and feel that is both casual and delicate all at the same time.  Here is an outfit I designed on Polyvore that I think follows through with this mixture of hard and soft Bohemianess.

  

Bohemian Cowgirl Garden





Other contributors to Bohemian Inspired Jewelry are Mary Jane Dodd, Denise Yezbek Moore, and Tracy Statler. Here are some tidbits from the book to peak your interest:



Lorelei Eurto





Awakening Lotus, Mary Jane Dodd




Triple Loop, Erin Siegel




Nouvelle, Denise Yezbak Moore

22 comments:

  1. Outstanding! Love the outfit and the bracelet you created! So colorful and I love all the mix of materials! You really hit the nail on the head with this one!! Thank you SO SO Much for participating! I hope the book continues to inspire you all summer long!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remember back in the late 60's it was called the 'hippie' era? lol...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Oh yeah that's still going strong :)

      Delete
  3. Great bracelet Beth! And I love the outfit you created too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for enjoying this piece and the outfit I pulled together! Hope you are well.

      Delete
  4. i love your bracelet, beth! there really is just something about summer and busying your hands with threads and fibers - now it can all just be a bit grown up... and your polyvore board is great...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your embroidery thread wrap is bright and lovely and the perfect compliment to your charm!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful Beth! Your mix of thread colors and stones is perfect. Using sterling elements are like sunshine. A perfect summer wear.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is such a great book. I am delighted for their success! I love your take on that piece, you really made it your own. The colors are saturated and playful. And your charm is the exquisite touch! Enjoy the day! Erin

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the friendship bracelet that you created and the polyvore outfit (great colors)!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Beth!! What lovely color and what a fantastic kick-off post!!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooh...I love this! You're jewelry is so beautiful, Beth!

    Really enjoyed reading through my copy and look forward to creating with some new materials.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for all your beautiful comments on my bracelet and I hope you all enjoy this book!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful bracelet Beth! Love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for enjoying the colors and this bracelet design, Lola!

      Delete
  13. That bracelet is my fav colors! Great job :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Replies
    1. Thank you so much for seeing the beauty in my work!!

      Delete
  15. The bracelet is really beautiful! Such nice details and fine work! I love it! You gave the friendship bracelet a real upgrade!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love, love, LOVE your friendship bracelet, Beth! Now, I need to go make me one of those for myself! I absolutely adore your version. Thank you so much for your support!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a very fun, summery bracelet Beth! Great inspiration piece!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Some stunning pieces in this post!! Gorgeous colours too!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love for you to share your ideas and stories on my blog! Please know that I may not always be able to e-mail you a direct response, so be sure to check back to my blog and continue the dialogue. Many blessings for connecting with me through word and image :)