6.28.2012

Raw Food Recipe: Spicy Lime & Melon Salad

spicy lime & melon salad

Last week I saw a cold cantaloupe soup recipe in Martha Stewart's July 2012 Living magazine. The recipe combines lime juice, cantaloupe, and a chili paste to make a delectable, spicy summer soup. Though I didn't make the soup, the idea of combining chili and melon intrigued me so I decided to design my own raw food spicy fruit salad.

The spicy lime and melon fruit salad that I came up with is soooooooo scrumptious! If you like spice, I hope you try it. I wasn't sure what to expect, but when I took my first bite, I was transported south of the border where it felt like my taste buds were partying with the most delicious pico de gallo and a wonderfully sweet, fruity margarita minus the tequila.

At the last minute I picked up a kiwi to add to my fruit salad and this proved to be a smart move. If you make this dish, don't skip the kiwi because its tangy flavor is the perfect balance with the sweet melons, sour lime juice, and the hot peppers. This little kiwi pulls the whole thing together!

Raw Food Recipe: Spicy Lime & Melon Salad

Serves 2

2 cups cubed cantaloupe rind removed
2 cups cubed seedless watermelon rind removed
2 kiwis peeled and sliced
1 small handful of cilantro, washed and chopped

Dressing:
1/4 cup olive oil
2 to 2 1/2 teaspoons lime juice
1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper

  1. In a medium bowl toss together the prepared cantaloupe, watermelon, kiwi, and cilantro.
  2. For the dressing, in a separate bowl whisk together the olive oil, lime juice, salt, and crushed red pepper. Adjust the seasonings to make it more tangy, salty, or spicy for your taste buds.
  3. Drizzle the dressing over the top of the fruit salad. Gently mix the fruit and the dressing together.

5 comments:

  1. looks good but...I can't eat fruit with salt! :-)
    I'll make it with sugar XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jun, I think it will be just as yummy! You may not even need any extra sugar, the fruit is so sweet :) Glad you liked it!!

      Delete
  2. being of Mexican heritage, i grew up eating fruit with lemon juice, salt and dried chile powder. num, num

    this recipe reminds me of those yummy snacks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, I think this is going to be my new way of eating fruit! I love it. Obviously, your ancestors know how to make food extraordinarily delicious :)

      Delete
  3. yum!
    i have to head to the grocery store tomorrow - so i will pick up the ingredients... seriously, heading to the grocery store on a friday when you live by beach towns is not a smart move, thanks for giving me something more exciting to buy than milk and bread! :0)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love for you to share your ideas and stories on my blog! Please know that I may not always be able to e-mail you a direct response, so be sure to check back to my blog and continue the dialogue. Many blessings for connecting with me through word and image :)