6.13.2012

Rejuvenation



I'm taking a break from blogging this week to catch up on some projects. In the meantime, I thought I'd share some photos from a recent hike I took up in the mountains of the Sierra Nevadas.






This is a hike near Truckee, California along Sagehen Creek. The water and the forest backdrop provide lots of places for wildlife to play, and the wildflowers were just starting to bloom.






Some women on the trail pointed out this wild peony that was just about to open and told me an interesting story about the tiny purple flowers called "squaw carpet" or ceanothus prostratus photographed above. They said that when Native American women sat on the ground with their children, they would place their blankets near this particular low-growing plant. The prickly leaves of this plant would deter toddlers from wandering off too far. Nature's playpen!





At the end of the trail you're rewarded with this amazing view looking out over Stampede Reservoir. The perfect spot for a picnic :)

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing such lovely photos of nature! Enjoy your week off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous photos! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love for you to share your ideas and stories on my blog! Please know that I may not always be able to e-mail you a direct response, so be sure to check back to my blog and continue the dialogue. Many blessings for connecting with me through word and image :)