7.03.2012

Changing the What if?

mountain flower

 

Anyway

By Bishop Abel Muzorewa

People are unreasonable, illogical and self-centered.
Love them anyway!

If you do good, people will accuse you of selfish ulterior motives.
Do good anyway!

If you are successful, you will win false friends and true enemies.
Succeed anyway!

Honesty and frankness make you vulnerable.
Be honest and frank anyway!

The biggest people with the biggest ideas can be shot down 

by the smallest people with the smallest ideas.
Think big anyway!

What you spend years building may be destroyed overnight.
Build anyway!

People really need help, but may attack you if you help them.
Help people anyway!

Give the world the best you have and you'll get kicked in the teeth.
Give the best you've got anyway!



I saw this quote on a wall at church the other day, and it reminded me about a post I've been meaning to do about changing the "What if?" questions in your life. Underneath all of Bishop Abel Muzorewa's statements is a "What if?" question that expresses self-doubt: "What if I become successful and don't know who my real friends are anymore?," "What if I'm honest and people take advantage of me?," "What if my idea is criticized?" "What if I build something and it falls apart?," etc.

Many of the fearful "What if?" questions inhabiting our lives represent some of our most basic needs for acceptance, love, respect, trust, and competence. I'm not so sure if we are suppose to completely eliminate these questions of self-doubt from our lives, for ultimately they point the way to what we most desire and give us clues as to how to transform our fear into action.

Suppose the next time you hear a negative "What if" question in your head, instead of letting it marinate and prevent you from taking action, why not see how you can change it into a positive and like Bishop Abel Muzorewa suggests find the courage to do it anyway.

Here are some examples:

What if I become successful and don't know who my real friends are anymore?
What if I become successful and meet people who can help me do more good in the world?

What if I'm honest and people take advantage of me?
What if I'm honest and learn compassion for others when things don't go my way?

What if my idea is criticized?
What if my idea sparks hundreds of new ideas in other people?

What if I build something and it falls apart?
What if I build something, and when it falls apart I see how to make it better the next time?


For more ways for changing negative thinking into positives, check out my ebook Lemonade Mantras by clicking here and download it for free.

To join a gathering of people looking to change the negative events in their life into new possibilities check out my Mending & Mantras e-courses by clicking here
 



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love for you to share your ideas and stories on my blog! Please know that I may not always be able to e-mail you a direct response, so be sure to check back to my blog and continue the dialogue. Many blessings for connecting with me through word and image :)