9.28.2012

American Dervish

American Dervish by Ayad Akhtar is great read! A book filled with many layers like silky veils removed one by one to reveal amazing beauty underneath. After I was done, I felt as if I had read a Sufi poem in narrative form. On one level it's a story about love and a young boy coming of age in America. On another level it's a story describing the dance between Eastern and Western cultures and religious belief systems.

However, at the root of American Dervish is a story of forgiveness and a profound truth that we all are destined to come to a place in our lives where there is nothing between ourselves and our maker. Whether you call it the universe, Beloved, God, Allah, or All that Is, life whittles you away until you are like handful a dust. This is place where you know for certain that you are treasured and loved with the same amount of intensity as the ground beneath your feet. It is a truth we all come to in our own way and time, and this book unfolds it in the most poetically tragic way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love for you to share your ideas and stories on my blog! Please know that I may not always be able to e-mail you a direct response, so be sure to check back to my blog and continue the dialogue. Many blessings for connecting with me through word and image :)