10.15.2012

Knitting, Simplicity & Small Details

Dalarna, Beth Hemmila: hand knitted socks


I just finished another pair of hand knitted socks. I wanted to make something simple so I selected "Dalarna" from Nancy Bush's Knitting on the Road: Sock Patterns for the Traveling Knitter and used Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock in Navy Pier.



Dalarna, Beth Hemmila: hand knitted socks

Inspired by her time learning how to weave in Dalarna, Sweden, Nancy Bush designed a sock solidly rooted in the beautiful traditions of Scandinavia.

I was drawn to this pattern because with just a few easily placed alternating knit and purl stitches, a simple, yet interesting decorative motif is created down either side of the leg.


Dalarna, Beth Hemmila: hand knitted socks

I like how Nancy Bush contrasted the stockinette stitch in this pattern with a lively cuff that includes rib knitting and a decorative chain stitch across the top. Also, the reinforced heel is super sweet with a kind of twisted rib pattern. This is all beginning knitting, but by arranging stitches in a thoughtful and organized way she created a classic looking sock filled with small details to delight the eye.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love for you to share your ideas and stories on my blog! Please know that I may not always be able to e-mail you a direct response, so be sure to check back to my blog and continue the dialogue. Many blessings for connecting with me through word and image :)