|deconstructed asian peanut butter celery salad|
Food is a sacred emissary of the universe. A beautiful ambassador from the cosmos, delivering a message to connect more deeply with our surroundings and people that may be invisible to us.
Food is a gift made possible by the miraculous mixture of earth, sky, rain, sun, and the love of many human hands. Choosing to eat in a mindful manner allows you to see the deeper messages of interconnection found within food.
Eating consciously is actually a difficult task for me because my personality likes to do many things at once, and so I discipline my awareness by eating in a twofold manner:
- When I prepare a meal, I try to become deeply aware of the texture, smell, and color of food so as to remember it is a gift of nature and many people. I turn the the act of making food into a visual and emotional meditation on gratitude.
- When I eat a meal, I practice conscious chewing to become more connected to the taste and texture of food. This also allows me to be more present during the eating process and notice the difference between hunger and fullness.
These two behaviors grew out of an exploration of my health and diet. From this practice I wrote Lemonade Mantras & Conscious Eating. There are many other ways to become mindful about eating that I included in this short book, so I invite you to download it for free and choose one or two to habits to add to your own path of eating mindfully.
To download Lemonade Mantras & Conscious Eating for free click here.
To download an exercise that explores Eating as a Meditation click here.
Raw Food Recipe: Deconstructed Asian Peanut Butter Celery SaladServes 2
I buy a lot of celery because it's readily available and goes well with so many things. Nevertheless, sometimes I buy too much and have to start using it up before it goes soft. Here's a salad that reminds me of being a kid and eating celery sticks and peanut butter but has a bit of an Asian twist.
2 cups chopped celery
1/8 - 1/4 cup chopped Jungle peanuts
1/8 cup olive oil
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon Tamari
1 fresh garlic clove crushed and minced
1/2 teaspoon fresh minced ginger
1 or 2 dashes of cayenne pepper
- For the dressing, in a bowl combine the olive oil, lemon juice, Tamari, garlic, ginger, and cayenne pepper. Whisk it together with a fork.
- Toss the celery and dressing together.
- Top the celery with chopped Jungle peanuts and serve.
- If you want a sweeter taste, add some honey to the dressing or a dash of orange juice.
- If your celery has already started to go soft, omit the peanuts and olive oil from the recipe, add everything to a blender with some water and make a refreshing drink or cold soup. You may need to adjust the amount of the ingredients for this blended drink.