2.25.2013

The Enlightening Mat: No is Life's On Button

om shanti shanti shanti
om shanti shanti shanti (mary jane dodd)

 Life is full of big and small rejections:

No, thank you.
No, you can't go.
No, I don't have time for you.
No, I don't need your help.
No, I don't like that.
No, you don't fit in here.
No, I don't like your work.
No, you didn't get the job.
No, I don't love you.

I struggle with, run away from, and seek to avoid rejection. It's a huge fear that has navigated the course of my life. However, by clearing my mind and centering through mediation, yoga, and doing the Lemonade Mantras process, I came to a new understanding of rejection.

No is life saying ON-ward.
NO = ON

Rejection is a swerve in the road turning me in a new direction.
Rejection is life's detour sign.
Life's No is a Divine yes in a new direction.
Life's No is a Divine Yes.
No is life turning me On.

What if all the "No's" we receive are life's u-turn in the road asking us to change direction? What if a "No" is life and our soul conspiring together to inspire us to seek a different path?

In many ways, "No" sets limits and parameters and helps frame your life. "No" is a place of resistance where you can rebel and fight or surrender and turn another way. "No" can be the alchemical container, the catalyst for personal transformation. Like a butterfly liberating itself from a cocoon, "No" might be the thing you need to set you free.

Here are a few questions to ask yourself, which may help you gain insight when you are struggling with receiving one of life's "No's":

  • What can I create from this "No?"
  • What can I learn? How can I change my life?
  • Who or what can come into my life as a result of this "No?"

Lastly, what if every time "No" came into your life, secretly you were okay with it?

Going on means going far. Going far means returning.
- Tao Te Ching


The Enlightening Mat is a blog series exploring moments of awareness that come to Beth Hemmila while practicing Bikram Yoga.

To shop for yoga charms that celebrate the different poses click here to view this blog post Sterling Silver Charms for Bikram Yoga Postures

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love for you to share your ideas and stories on my blog! Please know that I may not always be able to e-mail you a direct response, so be sure to check back to my blog and continue the dialogue. Many blessings for connecting with me through word and image :)