3.15.2013

Mind & Body Wellness: Taize Meditative Singing

meditation

An interesting monastic community in Taize, France has been using meditative singing as a form of worship, prayer, and devotion since the the 1940s.

Singing simple phrases over and over again as a community is one way to open a doorway to the Divine. Just like my post on Chanting & Mantras last week, meditative singing is another way to plant an idea deeply in your mind and heart through the concept of repetition. Taize meditative singing is similar in spirit to the devotional singing practice of kirtan in India.

One of my favorites is Bless the Lord and you can listen to it on Youtube by clicking here.

To hear more, you can purchase a CD or look for a local church that performs regular Taize services.
 

1 comment:

  1. Since we are approaching the best part of the year, the Holy Week, we will be singing a special song that I love in my parish. Ubi Caritas is a Taize chant that means "Where there is charity and love, there God is." I found a lovely version of it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9e_QO1ATho. I am a cantor at our Church and I will be sharing my singing this Sunday and on Palm Sunday as well as Easter Sunday. I am sponsoring a college student who will be making her first Communion and Confirmation at the Easter Vigil on the 30th. I am honored to be a part of it. It is one of the most meaningful experiences to be a part of and my favorite time in the life of the Catholic Church. Thank you for sharing this beautiful song! Enjoy the day. Erin

    ReplyDelete

I'd love for you to share your ideas and stories on my blog! Please know that I may not always be able to e-mail you a direct response, so be sure to check back to my blog and continue the dialogue. Many blessings for connecting with me through word and image :)