4.26.2013

Mindfulness, Quiet & Creativity

Close your mouth,
block off your senses,
blunt your sharpness,
untie your knots,
soften your glare,
settle your dust.
This is the primal identity.

- Tao Te Ching

I'm an introvert and like quiet, but sometimes I grow anxious of the spaciousness and freedom found there, so I fill silence with sound. Meditation and mindfulness is teaching me how to be with my empty spaces. For beneath my talking is pain. And underneath my pain is fear. And below my fear is an unmanifested cry -- a threshold between reality and no man's land. And lying awake beyond my cry is the awesome sound of the universe -- a deafening silence.

However, when I quiet my mind and quiet my heart, I hear the silent song we are stringing together with the cosmos and am not afraid.





Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking is an interesting book by Susan Cain and a fascinating approach to looking at the creative energy of mindfulness in education, business, and community. To learn more about this topic check out Susan Cain's TED talk by clicking here.

Contact me to facilitate a workshop or retreat on silence, creativity, and mindfulness by clicking here and visiting my Web site.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love for you to share your ideas and stories on my blog! Please know that I may not always be able to e-mail you a direct response, so be sure to check back to my blog and continue the dialogue. Many blessings for connecting with me through word and image :)