6.26.2013

Free DIY Arts & Craft Tutorial: Surprise Origami Folded Book

surprise origami folded book


I use to make this folded origami book in my art classes with kids. It has three easy folds; however, the visual impact of the final product is so powerful that it surprises unknowing viewers.

I originally learned how to make this folded book in Making Books That Fly, Fold, Wrap, Hide, Pop Up, Twist & Turn: Books for Kids to Make by Gwen Diehn. Her book is a treasure if you have kids or just enjoy making your own unique books.


tutorial folded paper book origami fly away free kid craft diy
surprise origami folded book


I've since passed on Gwen Diehn's book and was trying to remember how to make her fly away book for a project. Since I couldn't find any instructions online, I deconstructed one of my old books and created a tutorial to share.

You can download FREE instructions for the Surprise Origami Folded Book in PDF form by clicking here.

If you don't have origami paper, you can use any kind of paper you have on hand. The paper just needs to conform to the dimensions of a square, which can be done by cutting it to size. Ideas for paper might be: xerox paper, construction paper, wrapping paper, brown paper bags, etc.

If it's easier for you to learn by watching, I've included an instructional video below.

8 comments:

  1. omg, never learned to make that folded book. up to step 7 it reminded me of a folded ball we use to make and then blow air into... do u remember how to make a crane? those were fun too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I do remember the folded ball and the crane! Those are some good memories. I always have to follow instructions though. I have a whole book of origami animals that I don't dare part with.

      Delete
  2. how wonderful
    thank you for sharing this ~

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am really interested in learning how to make this, however, as I sat here doing it step 7 confuses me. I am getting the book you mentioned from the library, but until then can you explain step 7 some other way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure! I'll try. When you turn the paper over to the white side and poke the center point where all the folds meet. This should naturally cause the paper to create a type of valley. Now look at the fold that is on the diagonal (it goes from one corner to the other). Take the two corners that are on the diagonal fold and bring them to meet like you are bringing opposite corners of a bed sheet to together. At this point, it should look like you have a diamond baskets on either side of this point. Take the far corner of the left basket and bring it to meet the center point. Bring the far corner of the right basket to meet the center point. Now you should be able to squash the whole thing together in one square. Hope this helps!!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the reply. I still don't get it. I know I must be missing something obvious.

      Delete
    3. You're welcome! Sorry I can't be of more help. If you can find another person or kid who is familiar with origami, they can probably show you. This squash fold that you may not understanding is pretty common in origami and it might make sense to them even without the directions. Best of luck!!

      Delete
    4. Hi Lisa! I made an instructional video. Hopefully this step will make more sense when you see me do it in the video. Have fun!!

      Delete

I'd love for you to share your ideas and stories on my blog! Please know that I may not always be able to e-mail you a direct response, so be sure to check back to my blog and continue the dialogue. Many blessings for connecting with me through word and image :)