6.05.2013

Raw Food Recipe: Marinated Beet, Dill Cheese, Green Apple & Walnut Salad

marinated beet dill cheese green apple salad raw food recipe gluten free healthy
raw food recipe: marinated beet, dill cheese, green apple, and walnut salad

I'm not a huge fan of beets. I have memories of my parents spending long, hot summers pickling beets, and then sharing them with friends all year long. Sometimes I would be seduced at these dinner parties by their tantalizing color and try a slice, but I could never get past the primal earthiness of their flavor.

Periodically, I have tried making borscht and other beet delicacies to soothe my gallbladder, but many times I end up with a sad batch of leftovers languishing in the fridge. This raw food salad is one of the few beet recipes I've kept on my shelf. I like how it cuts through the earthy sweetness of the beets with a lemon-based marinade and pairs it with the punch of tart green apples. Recently, I added the raw dill cheese and it was fun so I included it in the recipe below. However, this salad is equally delicious with just the beets, apples, and walnuts.

Raw Food Recipe: Marinated Beet, Dill Cheese, Green Apple & Walnut Salad

Serves 2

1 small beet
1 green apple
1/4 cup chopped raw walnuts

Marinade:
1/3 cup olive oil
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon sea salt (more or less to taste)

Dill Cheese:
1/2 cup raw cashews
1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
1 clove garlic
1/2 teaspoon dill
1/4 teaspoon sea salt

  1. Place the cashews in a bowl, cover with water, and let them soak for 2 hours.
  2. In a separate medium-sized bowl, add the olive oil, lemon juice, and salt. Whisk together the marinade. You may need to adjust the amount of the ingredients for the marinade depending on the size of your beet. The marinade needs to cover all beet slices.
  3. Peel and wash the beet. Cut the beet into very thin slices. You can either keep them as slices or or chop them into bite-sized bits. Add the beets to the bowl with the marinade and let it sit for 2 hours. Occasionally, flip or stir the beets so all pieces soak up the marinade. 
  4. To make the dill cheese, drain and rinse the soaked cashews and place them in a food processor. Add the garlic and blend until the nuts are finely chopped.
  5. Add the salt and lemon juice to the nut mixture and blend until it looks like a creamy cheese. You can add a little bit of water to this mixture to make it creamier. Adjust the amount of lemon juice and salt to create more flavor. 
  6. Fold the dill into the cheese mixture.
  7. When the beets have finished marinating, remove the beets and discard the marinade.
  8. Slice the green apples and start putting your salad together. 
  9. The best way to eat this salad is not how I have it pictured above. I recommend chopping the beets into smaller bite-sized pieces along with the apple and walnuts. Toss the beets, apples, and walnuts in a bowl. Then add chunks of the dill cheese like pieces of feta and gently fold those into your salad. This way every mouthful has tart, sweet, salty, and savory in each bite.
  10. If you are serving this dish to others you may want to have each element in a separate bowl where people can build their own salad. This way the color of the beets won't bleed onto the rest of the elements of the salad. 
Note: Sometimes I add garlic or white onion to the marinade for added flavor.


4 comments:

  1. I use to hate beets as a kid... now I love them.. then again, veggies are my fave...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! It's only in the the last year I've grown to appreciate them. I'm trying to eat one a week now. Glad to be enjoying beets and veggies with you :)

      Delete
    2. try roasting them! they're sweet and good.

      Delete
    3. I've never tried this! Thanks for the tip, they sound delicious. Maybe I'll add some garlic cloves too.

      Delete

I'd love for you to share your ideas and stories on my blog! Please know that I may not always be able to e-mail you a direct response, so be sure to check back to my blog and continue the dialogue. Many blessings for connecting with me through word and image :)