6.27.2013

The Movie Austenland & The Jane Austen Necklace

jane austen necklace beth hemmila hint jewelry sterling silver
Jane Austen, Beth Hemmila (Hint Jewelry): sterling silver and gemstone necklace


I come here with no expectations, only to profess,
 now that I am at liberty to do so, that my heart is and always will be yours.
- Jane Austen, Sense and Sensibility

In August, movie goers will be treated to the romantic comedy Austenland -- a film based on the novel by Shannon Hale. Starring Keri Russell, the story is about a 30-something New Yorker with an unhealthy fixation on Mr. Darcy in Pride and Prejudice and who searches for her soul mate at a Jane Austen fantasy camp. That alone seems pretty funny!


jane austen necklace beth hemmila hint jewelry sterling silver
Jane Austen, Beth Hemmila (Hint Jewelry): sterling silver and gemstone necklace


This got me thinking about my own love affair with Jane Austen novels. One of my guilty pleasures during my 20s, most days I could be found devouring a Jane Austen novel or replaying one of my favorite film adaptations such as Pride and Prejudice or Sense and Sensibility.

In particular, the 1995 movie Sense and Sensibility starring Kate Winslet and Emma Thompson fascinated me because it was rich with scenes involving the intricacy of language, casual glances, movement, and tone.



jane austen necklace beth hemmila hint jewelry sterling silver
Jane Austen, Beth Hemmila (Hint Jewelry): sterling silver and gemstone necklace



Though in the beginning I was drawn to the passionate love story of the younger sister Marianne, over the years I've discovered, it's the slow simmer of Edward and Elinor that completely captures my heart.



Jane Austen, Beth Hemmila (Hint Jewelry): sterling silver and gemstone necklace


The bumbling character of Edward played by Hugh Grant is both maddening and sweet all at the same time, while the subtle, unspoken love of Edward and Elinor grows slowly and quietly beneath the surface of the whole movie.

I designed this Jane Austen necklace in the spirit of Elinor, who wears sensible attire and never quite stands out, but her love flows like a river and is a constant source of emotional strength to all the people who surround her.



jane austen necklace beth hemmila hint jewelry sterling silver
Jane Austen, Beth Hemmila (Hint Jewelry): sterling silver and gemstone necklace


This Jane Austen necklace can be worn alone or you can purchase a charm from Hint Jewelry to personalize it. I've designed this necklace so charms can be added and removed to suit your mood.


2 comments:

  1. Love the colors here! as well as your symbolic charm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for loving my choice of colors and the two fishes charm!

      Delete

I'd love for you to share your ideas and stories on my blog! Please know that I may not always be able to e-mail you a direct response, so be sure to check back to my blog and continue the dialogue. Many blessings for connecting with me through word and image :)