6.24.2013

Women & Aging: Quotes, Positive Affirmations, Beauty, Wisdom

maggie smith actress old young age downton abbey
Maggie Smith

Please don’t retouch my wrinkles. It took me so long to earn them.
- Anna Magnani 


My main reason for devouring Downton Abbey is to hear the next thing that is going to come out of Maggie Smith's mouth. She's beautiful. And though she was a stunning actress when she was younger, it's her face of today and the wisdom of her craft that draws me to her current on screen characters.


Not blemishes, adornment.
- Ian McEwan, Atonement


maggie smith actress old young age downton abbey
Maggie Smith

 We grow neither better nor worse as we get old, but more like ourselves.
- Mary Lamberton Becker


Women seem to struggle with the psychology of our aging, appearance, and bodies. The change from youthful vixen to wise crone isn't always celebrated in our culture. Yet for me the woman I'd want to have lunch with is the well worn Maggie Smith of today. On her wrinkled face is a story that is rich and full of depth.


Beauty once seemed to me to be an accident of nature… 
But now that I can see my life on my face. I realize we 
earn the way we end up looking. Time. It seems. 
Gives us all a chance to really be beautiful.
- Ann Curry


Last year I offered a online class called Mending Body and included an activity that gave people an opportunity to examine their beliefs about aging. If you want to dig deeper into your thoughts on aging and heal some of your cultural wounds, click here to download an exercise that will help rewire your beliefs about aging.

Positive Affirmations for Aging

by Beth Hemmila

Aging will be like a great sunset.
Time is my friend.
Experience is having a good chuckle over my youth.
Age is going to make me blind to differences.
Age is opening wisdom I forgot.
In aging, I will find deeper connections.








5 comments:

  1. I first noticed myself changing after my 3rd child- for years I was told I favored my Dad... I was shocked when I looked in the mirror and could see that my eyes were similar to my mom's! I was 36 at the time..A few years ago I noticed physical changes- my abs weren't as tight- resolved that w/doing crunches that were not the conventional ones... I started following Blogiates- Kasey Ho, who implements pilates and core exercises... they're tough but they pay off.
    Men seem to age gracefully, maybe because they don't fuss w/a lot of makeup, lotions, etc... or its just how we're put together?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love the core work! It makes me feel more connected and centered.

      Delete
  2. Yes, but if you asked me which I'd rather be, I'd pick youthful vixen over wise crone any day. Struggling with this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would it be too much to ask if I could time travel between the two? I struggle with this too. I miss who I was but at the same time seem to love who I am becoming. I want them both!! Thanks for sharing your struggle :)

      Delete
  3. what a beautiful post! i was just having this discussion with my daughter yesterday - breaking down even an hours worth of commercials on tv.
    a terrible, self-loathing beauty culture - unless of course, you are perfect.
    since i was a child, i was drawn to actors who were matured - in books, the wise ones were my favorites - gandalf, the eastern wise ones, the dalai lama, thich nhat hanh...
    dame maggie is wonderful beyond words. and like you, she is the big draw for me in downton. she is beautiful in every single way possible - may we all be so fortunate.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love for you to share your ideas and stories on my blog! Please know that I may not always be able to e-mail you a direct response, so be sure to check back to my blog and continue the dialogue. Many blessings for connecting with me through word and image :)