A modern lifestyle delights in distancing us from what is most basic -- our essential existence, which can be felt by being closer to the ground. Usually, we are up in our hearts and heads: thinking, doing, talking, feeling, problem solving, entertaining, worrying, misinterpreting, and dreaming.
When you get down on the ground a lot of the needless stuff disappears and life seems pretty simple and uncomplicated. It's a place of great comfort, support, and reassurance.
Even if your lifestyle or mobility only allows for a moment to bend down, touch the earth, and say "thanks," I urge you to make this your daily prayer. It helps you remember and bring you back to your source.
Here are some ideas for getting down on the ground:
- Sitting meditation
- Yoga floor poses
- Lying on the floor for 10 minutes before bed
- Sitting in the garden pulling weeds
- Eating a picnic on a blanket at a park or in your backyard
- Lying in the grass looking up the stars at night
- Scrubbing the kitchen floor on your hands and knees
- Playing in a sandbox with kids
- Sunning yourself at the beach
- Cuddling with your pets on the floor
How do you get down on the ground?