7.19.2013

Mind & Body Wellness: Being on the Ground

I read somewhere that you'll feel better if you get down on the ground once a day. After developing a consistent sitting meditation and yoga practice, I see the value in this idea.

A modern lifestyle delights in distancing us from what is most basic -- our essential existence, which can be felt by being closer to the ground. Usually, we are up in our hearts and heads: thinking, doing, talking, feeling, problem solving, entertaining, worrying, misinterpreting, and dreaming.

When you get down on the ground a lot of the needless stuff disappears and life seems pretty simple and uncomplicated. It's a place of great comfort, support, and reassurance.

Even if your lifestyle or mobility only allows for a moment to bend down, touch the earth, and say "thanks," I urge you to make this your daily prayer. It helps you remember and bring you back to your source.







Here are some ideas for getting down on the ground:

  • Sitting meditation
  • Yoga floor poses
  • Stretching
  • Lying on the floor for 10 minutes before bed
  • Sitting in the garden pulling weeds
  • Eating a picnic on a blanket at a park or in your backyard
  • Lying in the grass looking up the stars at night
  • Scrubbing the kitchen floor on your hands and knees
  • Playing in a sandbox with kids
  • Sunning yourself at the beach
  • Cuddling with your pets on the floor


How do you get down on the ground?

2 comments:

  1. I used to sit on the floor while making my jewelry...every morning for a couple hours :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely way to make jewelry! I had a dream once where all my women friends were sitting on the ground sorting beads and making jewelry. I hadn't thought of this in a long time, but now that you said this I'm guessing women and men have been sitting on the ground making all sorts of adornment for thousands of years. Thank you for sharing your experience with me!! xoxo Beth

      Delete

I'd love for you to share your ideas and stories on my blog! Please know that I may not always be able to e-mail you a direct response, so be sure to check back to my blog and continue the dialogue. Many blessings for connecting with me through word and image :)