7.29.2013

My Story of Om & Aum: The Melody of Love

aum melody of love Joseph Bharat Cornell book om
Aum: The Melody of Love by Joseph Bharat Cornell

I was intrigued by Om (or Aum) during college, but its sound quickly faded into the background of a life filled with drinking, parties, dance, and art.

Later, while struggling in my thirties, I found myself searching for a more feminine spirituality because God, Buddha, and Jesus weren't cutting it anymore. I wanted a symbol and story that looked like me. My exploration led to the book Longing for Darkness: Tara and the Black Madonna by China Galland, which recounted all sorts of interesting stories about Tara a female Bodhisattva (Mother of Compassion) from Tibet.

I was all about White Tara at this time and said her mantra during stressful moments: Om Tare Tuttare Ture Soha.

Looking back, I see now I was just replacing male figures with a female face and adding some words to give my spirituality a new twist, but I didn't really connect with the mantra or Om. I was saying Om like I had been saying the Lord's Prayer during a Sunday morning church service -- automatic, disconnected, and unconscious.

Nevertheless, Tara served me well, and last year I found myself paring her mantra down to just Om while doing yoga. As a way to focus my mind and deal with my discomfort, I was silently chanting Om to myself and for the first time felt the resonance of this sound within my body.

I began to hear Om in other things such as the wind in the trees, the chirp of a bird, the hum of the refrigerator, and the sound of a car passing by. Om was all around me, reverberating in my body and outside in all the molecules that surrounded me. Om started to feel comforting. I didn't even have to say it aloud, for in the silence I could hear it and feel my lips and throat relax into the shape of the sound.

As I became more and more connected to Om, it started to materialize in my life.


ohm street sign reno nevada om
ohm

I would notice an Om street sign on my way to work or I'd randomly open Siddhartha to the chapter where he discovers the transcendent nature of Om. It seemed to inhabit my life and emerged through writing a mantra during my Mending Creative Time & Space class: "Om is home."

And as I would talk about Om with people, they would share their own stories. It was like a gigantic Om party -- a wave of sound that cradled me.


aum om melody of love bliss sterling silver charm book joseph bharat cornell
Aum: The Melody of Love by Joseph Bharat Cornell

Then during a completely random moment, I was contacted by a publisher and asked if I would be willing to grant permission to use the image of my Om charm in the layout of a book entitled Aum: The Melody of Love by Joseph Bharat Cornell.

I was so excited! First of all to be introduced to this publication and secondly to participate in a small way in the celebration of Om. To me the arrival of this book was the Divine saying: "You've dabbled in Om, now here's some more wisdom to learn from."

Aum: The Melody of Love is such a treasure. Filled with explorations, anecdotes, quotes, and powerful meditation exercises. This book of Aum will live permanently on my shelf and travel with me wherever I go.

If you seek to know the sound within all sound, this book will open your heart for it is in the silence, the in between places, and the empty spaces where you will find God and your "primal identity."

After the wind there was an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake. After the earthquake came a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire. And after the fire came a gentle whisper.
1 Kings 19:11-12





4 comments:

  1. I love your piece on the cover! Congratulations for that. Your intention to live in OM is wonderful. I think I should follow your lead and find that "in between space". I believe that is the place where you hear your soul speak. Thank you for sharing.
    ~Ema

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Ema for supporting my Om journey! I love this insight that you've added about your soul speaking within the gaps. Thank you for this new way of seeing these places. xoxo Beth

      Delete
  2. How exciting that you have found the wonder and healing power of Om and that your beautiful charm on the book cover. It's hard to explain the importance of Om to me - it just "is". You talked about it materializing in your life: had just finished listening to The Moody Blue's "Om" when I opened your blog (: Peace and joy to you, Beth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How neat that you just had an Om encounter! I don't remember the Moody Blue's Om so I'm going to check it out. Thanks for connecting with my journey. xoxo Beth

      Delete

I'd love for you to share your ideas and stories on my blog! Please know that I may not always be able to e-mail you a direct response, so be sure to check back to my blog and continue the dialogue. Many blessings for connecting with me through word and image :)