8.12.2013

Playing with Art

life at play

Play is one of the highest spiritual forms of being. 
When we're in that state, we get lost in ourselves, 
which allows the mind to receive the message of the spirit.
- Ellie Katz

I gravitate towards communities that are pretty diverse, and the other day I realized that all of these groups have one in thing in common -- they play together in order to make art. Singing, dancing, performing, meditating, and crafting an experience can be incredibly unifying because when you are in the moment of playing and creating something together you don't see differences anymore, instead you see how we blend into a beautiful harmonious rhythm and everyone is a necessary part of the whole.

In a truly open context, art welcomes and loves everyone regardless of age, gender, race, beliefs, and sexual preference. It's a place where everyone can find a home. In fact, it's probably one of the only places where if I do something strange, people support me. They may give a hearty laugh over what I create, but they're always there to encourage more of my outlandishness. Art tells you to keep on keeping on.

Art doesn't care if you're over 80 or under 10. It simply invites you to play. Art doesn't care how much money you make or if your skin is the same color. Art is like a playful dance, grabbing each person's hand as it passes you by with a smile and laugh because it knows differences in age, race, gender, and ability don't really exist and are constructs of fear formed by a mind that only wants to play it safe.

The soul always wants to play and make life a living art form. May you feel that spark inside you today that urges you to play and create!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love for you to share your ideas and stories on my blog! Please know that I may not always be able to e-mail you a direct response, so be sure to check back to my blog and continue the dialogue. Many blessings for connecting with me through word and image :)