9.04.2013

Raw Food Recipe: Peach Pecan Ice Cream

raw food recipe: peach pecan ice cream

I love semi-green bananas, so when they start to go brown, I get more and more reluctant to eat them. At this point, my brown bananas usually end up in a smoothie. Then one day my friend Kim introduced me to making raw food ice cream using one simple ingredient -- frozen bananas -- and I was hooked!

The recipe for raw banana ice cream is found over at theKitchn by clicking here.

Below are some of my own tips and the recipe for raw peach pecan ice cream:

Raw Food Recipe: Peach Pecan Ice Cream

Serves 2

2 brown bananas
1/3 cup of semi-thawed frozen peaches
Handful of raw pecans

  1. Peel both bananas and slice into 1/2" round pieces.
  2. Place the banana slices on a non-stick cookie sheet.
  3. Put the cookie sheet in the freezer for at least 2 hours.
  4. Add the frozen bananas to your food processor and mix until it is consistency of ice cream. You will need to keep stopping the food processor and scraping the bowl a couple times.
  5. Add the peaches and blend some more. 
  6. Add the pecans and pulse one or two times.

Tips
  • You can make this raw banana ice cream ahead and freeze for later, but it doesn't quite have the same texture and taste as eating it right away after you make it. If you are making it to serve to guests, I recommend preparing it right before you want to eat it.
  • Adding another element such as fruit to your ice cream will cause you to have to blend it more. This increases the chances that you will loose the stiff texture of ice cream by over blending. Use semi-thawed fruit or something that will blend easily like raspberries. Alternatively add the fruit earlier to the food processor when the bananas haven't quite blended together yet.
  • I like eating just the plain banana raw food ice cream, but theKitchn has lots of other ideas for how to jazz up this simple dessert.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love for you to share your ideas and stories on my blog! Please know that I may not always be able to e-mail you a direct response, so be sure to check back to my blog and continue the dialogue. Many blessings for connecting with me through word and image :)