10.30.2013

Autumn Treat: Spicy Lime Roasted Pepitas

roasted pepitas with lime juice, sea salt, and cayenne pepper

It's pumpkin time! One of my favorite Halloween traditions is roasting pumpkin seeds from a freshly carved jack-o'-lantern. However, when I started eating more seeds in my diet I discovered pepitas, the Spanish term for the green, edible part of the pumpkin seed. You can usually buy them in bulk at a local health food store.

Without the shell they are easier to eat and use in a variety of recipes. I like to grind them up and sprinkle them on soups and salads for a slightly nutty flavor. Click here for an interesting recipe for Raw Pumpkin Seed Pesto by Oh My Veggies.

However, one of my favorite ways to snack on pepitas is to saute them in coconut oil until they are lightly toasted and then toss them with lime juice, sea salt, and cayenne pepper or paprika. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love for you to share your ideas and stories on my blog! Please know that I may not always be able to e-mail you a direct response, so be sure to check back to my blog and continue the dialogue. Many blessings for connecting with me through word and image :)