10.18.2013

Mind & Body Wellness: Using a Bowl for Mindful Eating

Autumn Spaghetti Squash, Green Apple, and Walnut Salad by Beth Hemmila
autumn spaghetti squash, green apple, and walnut salad

A couple years ago, I started eating out of a bowl instead of using a plate. It wasn't a completely conscious decision, rather it occurred because first of all I love the shape of a bowl, secondly I find eating out of bowl stimulates feelings of comfort (e.g., reminders of comforting food such as soup or warm oatmeal), and lastly because many of the things I was preparing on my new diet looked better in a bowl.

Then the other day as I was eating out of my bowl, I realized my lifestyle switch was a natural consequence to eating less during every meal. A couple years ago when I started chewing more I ate less and found that what satisfied my hunger was the equivalent of a bowl.

The size of my bowl promoted healthy portions and mindful eating. For instance, if you have a large plate it's easy to heap on lots of food and eat more for the eyes rather than what your body actually needs. The measurement of one bowl of food is enough for me.

Here are some interesting tools to evaluate healthy food portions:

Video on Oryoki (Zen Style: Three Bowl Eating) by Patrick Reynolds of the Knowledge Worker Survival Guide

Portion Size Plate

Secrets of Healthy Eating and Portion Control

The Balanced Plate

Autumn Spaghetti Squash, Green Apple & Walnut Salad

I made this salad to celebrate the Autumn Equinox. Here were the ingredients:

Roasted spaghetti squash
Diced green apples
Diced red onion
Shredded carrot
Chopped Walnuts
Served on top of fresh red and green lettuce

Dressing:
Olive oil
Crushed garlic
Lemon juice
Salt


2 comments:

  1. I noticed the same too (chewing more) when I switched my eating habits to more unprocessed foods.. Also, I don't eat the same quantity that I use to.. Guess I am expending less energy? tho, I haven't slowed down... now, I am confused... lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree I think it's a variety things. I notice when I eat wholesome food (no sugar and processed stuff) I have less cravings and seem to eat less. Strangely meditation helps with eating less too. I guess I just feel filled up from within, which I believe food was doing for me artificially :)

      Delete

I'd love for you to share your ideas and stories on my blog! Please know that I may not always be able to e-mail you a direct response, so be sure to check back to my blog and continue the dialogue. Many blessings for connecting with me through word and image :)