11.13.2013

Gluten Free Recipe: Savory Fennel, Green Apple, Walnut & Sweet Biscuit Holiday Stuffing

Gluten Free Recipe Savory Fennel, Green Apple, Walnut and Sweet Biscuit Holiday Stuffing by Beth Hemmila
savory fennel, green apple, walnut and sweet biscuit holiday stuffing

I've eliminated gluten and a lot of processed food from my diet, so I don't eat traditional bread anymore. However, during the holidays I miss the taste of stuffing. This recipe is something I've created using gluten free biscuits, but you could substitute your favorite gluten free bread instead.

Another part I like about this recipe is the use of fresh apples instead of baking them with the stuffing. I like how the you can taste that crunchy sweet and tart flavor mixed in with the warm, savory, and toasted stuffing.

Gluten Free Savory Fennel, Green Apple, Walnut & Sweet Biscuit Holiday Stuffing 

Serves 4

4 cups gluten free biscuits, cut into cubes and dried (sweetened with honey)
1/2 cup fennel chopped
1/2 cup red onion chopped
1 cup celery chopped
1/2 cup walnuts chopped
1 cup Granny smith apple chopped
1 - 2 teaspoons dried rosemary
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/3 cup vegetable broth

  1. Bake the gluten free biscuits. Cool, slice into cubes and place on a tray to air dry for a day. I used Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Biscuit and Baking Mix and the recipe on the back of the package. I substitute olive oil for the shortening and water for milk to make my biscuits dairy free. I also add some honey to give them a little bit of sweetness.
  2. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
  3. Add a little bit of olive oil to a frying pan and saute the fennel, onion, celery, and walnuts on medium heat for about 3 - 5 minutes -- just until the walnuts start to become a little toasted and the vegetables soften. At the very end add the rosemary to the pan and saute for a few seconds.
  4. Pour this mixture into a bowl. Add the dried cubes of biscuits and gently mix with spoon.
  5. Drizzle the remaining olive oil over the stuffing, pour the vegetable broth on top, and then fold everything together.
  6. Scoop all the stuffing into a casserole dish that has been greased with a little bit of olive oil and place in the oven for about 20-30 minutes or until it looks toasty on top.
  7. Remove the stuffing from the oven just before serving and fold in the remaining fresh diced green apples.

1 comment:

  1. Yum. I like the idea of leaving the apples uncooked. Apples don't really need cooking do they. Definitely going to put this recipe forward to the family menu organizing committee.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love for you to share your ideas and stories on my blog! Please know that I may not always be able to e-mail you a direct response, so be sure to check back to my blog and continue the dialogue. Many blessings for connecting with me through word and image :)