|savory fennel, green apple, walnut and sweet biscuit holiday stuffing|
I've eliminated gluten and a lot of processed food from my diet, so I don't eat traditional bread anymore. However, during the holidays I miss the taste of stuffing. This recipe is something I've created using gluten free biscuits, but you could substitute your favorite gluten free bread instead.
Another part I like about this recipe is the use of fresh apples instead of baking them with the stuffing. I like how the you can taste that crunchy sweet and tart flavor mixed in with the warm, savory, and toasted stuffing.
Gluten Free Savory Fennel, Green Apple, Walnut & Sweet Biscuit Holiday StuffingServes 4
4 cups gluten free biscuits, cut into cubes and dried (sweetened with honey)
1/2 cup fennel chopped
1/2 cup red onion chopped
1 cup celery chopped
1/2 cup walnuts chopped
1 cup Granny smith apple chopped
1 - 2 teaspoons dried rosemary
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/3 cup vegetable broth
- Bake the gluten free biscuits. Cool, slice into cubes and place on a tray to air dry for a day. I used Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Biscuit and Baking Mix and the recipe on the back of the package. I substitute olive oil for the shortening and water for milk to make my biscuits dairy free. I also add some honey to give them a little bit of sweetness.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Add a little bit of olive oil to a frying pan and saute the fennel, onion, celery, and walnuts on medium heat for about 3 - 5 minutes -- just until the walnuts start to become a little toasted and the vegetables soften. At the very end add the rosemary to the pan and saute for a few seconds.
- Pour this mixture into a bowl. Add the dried cubes of biscuits and gently mix with spoon.
- Drizzle the remaining olive oil over the stuffing, pour the vegetable broth on top, and then fold everything together.
- Scoop all the stuffing into a casserole dish that has been greased with a little bit of olive oil and place in the oven for about 20-30 minutes or until it looks toasty on top.
- Remove the stuffing from the oven just before serving and fold in the remaining fresh diced green apples.