11.15.2013

Mind & Body Wellness: Grow Your Own Sprouts

Grow Your Own Sprouts by Beth Hemmila of Hint Jewelry
growing fresh sprouts

Recently I got the urge to grow something I could eat; however, my living situation doesn't offer the best options for an outdoor vegetable garden.

So I decided to start growing sprouts indoors. Sprouting has been on my list for several years because as I was starting to eat more and more raw food, I learned about its potential health benefits. Read more about the health benefits of growing and eating sprouts over at the Nourishing Gourmet.

You can start simple by growing sprouts in a mason jar, which is explained in detail over at Reckless Abandon or you can buy a seed sprouter. I purchased the seed sprouter from Botanical Interests, and I'm loving it's simple and thoughtful design.

It's easy to rinse and grow a variety of sprouts at once in the Botanical Interests seed sprouter.


Grow Your Own Sprouts by Beth Hemmila of Hint Jewelry
growing sprouts

You can find seeds to sprout at your local nursery or health food store. I've seen a variety available at Whole Foods. You can also buy sprouting seeds in large quantities online through Sprout People. So far my favorite sprouts to grow are broccoli, mung bean, alfalfa, and Daikon radish.

If you want to learn more, Sprout People also have extensive educational section on their web site.

What do you do with sprouts once they're finished growing?

I snack on them just like I would a handful of potato chips. It's my new way of grazing! You can also make lots of different salads or add them as toppings to other dishes. Here are some recipes for different sprout salads from Gentle World.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love for you to share your ideas and stories on my blog! Please know that I may not always be able to e-mail you a direct response, so be sure to check back to my blog and continue the dialogue. Many blessings for connecting with me through word and image :)