12.02.2013

Relationships Teach You How to Be Courageous

Sterling Silver Wolf Pendant Necklace by Beth Hemmila of Hint Jewelry
Wild Courage, Sterling Silver Wolf Pendant by Beth Hemmila of Hint Jewelry

 Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, 
while loving someone deeply gives you courage.
- Lao Tzu

Until recently, I didn't realize how my relationships with people and animals who were depending on me fueled my courage. Have you ever noticed that when other living things like your kids, animals, co-workers, patients, students, and plants are relying on you to be there for them, you become super-human?

You stretch. You are willing to overlook what you fear or hate in yourself and just step up and do it anyway. You're more apt to just let those secretly embarrassing things you believe about yourself be as they are and take on whatever challenge presents itself because people are counting on you. The sweet pressure of loving others so much and wanting to give whatever you can, propels you to be courageous.

Over the years, I've gravitated to jobs that would give me this kind of experience -- situations where I was an essential life-line that people took hold of to help make everything okay. Sometimes I miss this experience of being asked to move beyond my perceived limitations, but I know for a time I've had to step back and be a little less available and less courageous for others.

However, while I'm in this unfamiliar place, where I am learning to ask for and receive help, I noticed I may be giving others an opportunity to be courageous also.

I am so thankful for all the people and animals that pushed me out of my comfort zone, asked more of me than I thought I could give, and offered me the gift of learning how to be courageous.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love for you to share your ideas and stories on my blog! Please know that I may not always be able to e-mail you a direct response, so be sure to check back to my blog and continue the dialogue. Many blessings for connecting with me through word and image :)