1.13.2014

Affirmation: Undiscriminating Love Doesn't Evaluate

Affirmation: Undiscriminating Love Doesn't Evaluate by Beth Hemmila of Hint Jewelry



What is a good man but a bad man's teacher?
What is a bad man but a good man's job?
If you don't understand this, you will get lost,
however intelligent you are.
It is the great secret.
- Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

When you don't judge or evaluate in terms of right or wrong, good or bad, likable or unlikable, etc., undiscriminating love is naturally present, pervasive, and open.

I had this experience the other day when for a moment my black and white thinking was suspended, and I put my thoughts in neutral.

It's not easy to kick evaluation to the curb because our brains can easily live in a state fear, urgently cataloging experiences in order to feel safe. Evaluation rises to the surface when we believe one of our basic needs is going unmet by a person or situation. Thinking that life is going off the rails, and we need to react or take action is our silly attempt to predict the future so as to safeguard what might happen to us next.

Evaluation is our survival instinct kicking in and in some situations it's good to be this acutely aware; however, there are many experiences throughout our day that don't require this type of hyper-vigilance and putting your thoughts in neutral can lead to interesting results.

Like this quote from the Tao Te Ching, you don't really know who is "good" or "bad." You don't know how your actions influence others or spin out into the world to create havoc. Did the man trying to do "good" actually create something "bad?" All you have to do is look at science to see this truth. Many discoveries for "good" have actually developed into something we consider harmful to our human existence. But are they? Do we really know for certain where everything is leading?

The more you put your thoughts in neutral like an automobile riding through the car wash, you will feel a natural peace from within, and in response the world will be drawn to love and support you.

To learn how to put your thoughts in neutral by making a concrete observation, download and read the first chapter of my free ebook Lemonade Mantras.

For more information about making a concrete observation, watch these videos:

6 comments:

  1. My ex bf would evaluate everything... which made me wonder why he was with me.. he could find fault either in me, my home, my city.... I guess the mantra AA folks have is true: "point the finger, the finger points back to you"..... he never could see any fault in himself..sad isn't it? To be love is unconditional.. Everyone has faults, and that's what make us who we are.. I have figured out that he is and will always be a sad, unaccountable person who must be so blind or maybe not so blind to his own faults.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What an enormous insight you had about your ex! Also, I've never heard that quote from AA. I like it. Thank you for sharing it with me. It's so visual and really helps understand this whole process of judgment. Have a great week! xoxo

      Delete
    2. omg, every tv program that deals with addiction seems to repeat that mantra... my views on AA aren't favorable... i don't agree w/their philosophy of making amends... the addict is suppose to apologize to all he has hurt... its one sided especially if the person doesn't learn from it and uses it as a gateway of trying to get back into the good graces.

      Delete
    3. Amends are a strange thing and often feel lopsided to me too. I wish there was a better understanding of taking responsibility and just wanting to start a dialogue that says, "hey, I see and acknowledge my behavior and its affect on the world around me. I want to do something different in the future."

      Delete
    4. I agree.. Tho I know my ex didn't want to change.. that's the key..so he would find fault with others/things in general.. to deflect from him... hard life lesson for me, never encountered such a dysfunctual person in my life! lol

      Delete
    5. Yay! That lesson's complete. Hopefully, never to return again :)

      Delete

I'd love for you to share your ideas and stories on my blog! Please know that I may not always be able to e-mail you a direct response, so be sure to check back to my blog and continue the dialogue. Many blessings for connecting with me through word and image :)