1.07.2014

Fear of Falling or Fear of Flying?



 The bad news is you’re falling through the air,
nothing to hang on to, no parachute.
The good news is there’s no ground.

I've been working with this quote from Chögyam Trungpa Rinpoche for the past couple months. Like this guy Jeb Corliss in the video, I know falling through the air for some people is a thrilling adventure, but for me the idea is terrifying.

However, I can work with this spiritual concept through the power of my imagination. So these days I imagine myself falling through every experience and hanging onto nothing.

Received a sad note from a friend -- falling, falling, falling through it. Met an interesting person who intrigues me -- falling, falling, falling through it. Pain in my knees -- falling, falling, falling through it. Miss my cat -- falling, falling, falling through it. Had an awesome day that I don't want to end -- falling, falling, falling through it.

This image of falling through the air and not grasping onto any "good" or "bad" experience has been such a powerful teaching for me. Feeling the freedom that comes from falling and letting go and believing in the beauty that I'm not going to hit anything because spiritually speaking there is no ground to crash into, has been empowering for I see that falling through the air could actually be me flying.

Accepting the sensation of falling, an extremely visceral form of letting go, and trusting I'm not going to hit anything, seems to be the first step in beginning to fly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love for you to share your ideas and stories on my blog! Please know that I may not always be able to e-mail you a direct response, so be sure to check back to my blog and continue the dialogue. Many blessings for connecting with me through word and image :)