2.07.2014

Eros and Pysche One of a Kind Birthstone Necklace

Eros and Pysche One of a Kind Birthstone Necklace by Beth Hemmila of Hint Jewelry
Eros and Psyche, Beth Hemmila (Hint Jewelry): amethyst and garnet necklace


The story of Eros and Pysche is one of my favorite Greek myths. To read the story click here.



Eros and Pysche One of a Kind Birthstone Necklace by Beth Hemmila of Hint Jewelry
Eros and Psyche, Beth Hemmila (Hint Jewelry): amethyst and garnet necklace


At one point in the myth, Psyche travels to the underworld as one of her challenges. While there, Pysche's curiosity gets the best of her, and she opens a box that causes her to fall into an unending sleep.


Eros and Pysche One of a Kind Birthstone Necklace by Beth Hemmila of Hint Jewelry
Eros and Psyche, Beth Hemmila (Hint Jewelry): amethyst and garnet necklace


Eventually Eros travels to underworld, awakens Psyche from her deep sleep, and marries her.
Sound familiar? Yes, this ancient Greek myth is a precursor to fairy tales such as Snow White.



Eros and Pysche One of a Kind Birthstone Necklace by Beth Hemmila of Hint Jewelry
Eros and Psyche, Beth Hemmila (Hint Jewelry): amethyst and garnet necklace

I suppose many young girls including myself were enchanted by the idea of being rescued from perpetual slumber by a handsome man. However, recently I've been thinking about this myth in a different way, and it's almost so obvious that it makes me laugh that I never saw it before.

Eros, the Greek God of Love represented by a man, is actually a symbol. So instead of Psyche being rescued by a man from the darkness and sleep of the underworld, she is actually awakened by Love, and understands her true nature as an enlightened being.

What would our culture be like if the fairy tales we told little girls made it clear that they would awaken to their true nature not by the affections of another human being but because they would understand and feel that Love emanates from within them and is all around them?

Love is ever present, and it's only requirement is that you awaken to it.

2 comments:

  1. Garnet is becoming one of my favorite colors! great pairing, Beth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for loving these stones paired together! They are two of my favorites. The deep red of the garnet reminds me of wine.

      Delete

I'd love for you to share your ideas and stories on my blog! Please know that I may not always be able to e-mail you a direct response, so be sure to check back to my blog and continue the dialogue. Many blessings for connecting with me through word and image :)