This is a four week series that explains how to write a positive affirmation in 4 steps. More information can be found in my book Lemonade Mantras, which you can download for FREE by clicking here.
To see all 4 Steps from the blog series click here.
Step 1: Make a Concrete Observation
Notice a Trigger Event (something happening in your life that stimulates feelings of anger or frustration) and then neutralize your evaluation into a Concrete Observation.
Step 2: Uncover a Need
Ask the question, "What did I Need?"
How to Uncover a Need
Experiencing an intense feeling such as anger is warning light saying, "Hey, you need to check this out." Anger tells you when one of your needs is going unmet. Connecting with a need isn't done as a way to change another person or manipulate the situation to your liking. Rather valuing one of your needs connects you to a deeper part of yourself -- a place where you know that you have everything you need and nothing is missing.
Feelings point the way to your deeper needs, and needs ultimately reveal your true Self and how best to share it with others. Listening and valuing your needs as well as those around you connects you to life. Needs are your true Self telling you how to be your best.
- Remember your Trigger Event.
- Ask yourself the question, "What did I need when this was happening?"
- Identify your needs. To download a List of Needs click here.
- Imagine the Trigger Event and then read different needs from the list. Ask yourself, “If this need was met during my trigger event, would I feel better?”
- Picture transforming the trigger event into your ideal situation and then ask yourself: “If this was the perfect experience, what would it give me? What need would it fulfill? What matters most to me in this situation?”
For more information, click here to download my free ebook Lemonade Mantras and read chapter 4.
Check out my Youtube video on Lemonade Mantras chapter 4 by clicking here.