3.17.2014

How to Write Positive Affirmations Step 3: Acknowledge Your Judgments

How to Write Positive Affirmations Step 3 Acknowledge Your Judgments Lemonade Mantras by Beth Hemmila


This is a four week series that explains how to write a positive affirmation in 4 steps. More information can be found in my book Lemonade Mantras, which you can download for FREE by clicking here.

To see all 4 Steps from the blog series click here.

Step 1: Make a Concrete Observation
Notice a Trigger Event (something happening in your life that stimulates feelings of anger or frustration) and then neutralize your evaluation into a Concrete Observation.

Step 2: Uncover a Need
Ask the question, "What did I Need?"

Step 3: Acknowledge Your Judgments
Write down your Judgments -- negative thoughts you have about the person or situation.

How to Acknowledge Your Judgments


Your thoughts about a challenging experience in your life stimulate more discomfort than the actual event itself. Your negative thinking about a Trigger Event is called a Judgment, and these thoughts that spin in your head can cause more damage over time than the actual experience, snowballing into unhealthy reactions, unbalanced energy, physical pain, and mental stress.

This process has you shine a light on your Judgments -- your negative thoughts surrounding a Trigger Event so as to uncover a pattern of beliefs in your life that you want to learn about, interrupt, and re-script into something positive.

  1. Recall what you Needed during this Trigger Event. Connecting with your Needs will help you hear the silent Judgments in your head.
  2. What are you thinking about this Trigger Event? What should or shouldn't have happened? What do you believe needed to be corrected or changed?
  3. On a piece of paper write down 3 to 5 Judgments about your Trigger Event using "should" or "shouldn't" in the sentence. Be as critical as possible.

To learn more about Judgments and taking responsibility for your Self-Judgments, click here to download my free ebook Lemonade Mantras and read chapter 5. Or check out my Youtube video on Lemonade Mantras chapter 5 by clicking here.  

4 comments:

  1. I don't think most think it through.. I know one person who made decisions just to satisfy a need - physical need of just having something physically... or did something in haste which further ruined the end result... I remember trying to explain why he shouldn't do something and he wouldn't listen and still went ahead.. then realize his decision was not smart! lol.... I knew my logic in things further frustrated and at times he would think I just was trying to keep him from doing what he wanted..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I think being impulsive and acting on our needs happens more often than not. I find it difficult to slow down and consider what I'm doing. I have to employ a lot of restraint to create this awareness and then an added force to keep me from moving forward anyway despite my logic!! It's equally hard to watch this experience in others. Like you said, you can almost see the outcome and this can be frustrating.

      Delete
    2. the funny thing is, is that he realized (as he put it) 'how stupid' he was in his decision... and he would keep making other illogical decisions.. at times, I thought he had a case of Alzheimer's!. lol

      Delete
    3. Haha! He sounds like me!! That's funny :)

      Delete

I'd love for you to share your ideas and stories on my blog! Please know that I may not always be able to e-mail you a direct response, so be sure to check back to my blog and continue the dialogue. Many blessings for connecting with me through word and image :)