3.03.2014

How to Write Positive Affirmations Step 1: Make a Concrete Observation

How to Write Positive Affirmations Step 1 Lemonade Mantras Make a Concrete Observation by Beth Hemmila



Your thinking is the biggest con job.
- Beth Hemmila

My book Lemonade Mantras is a treasure box of different self-help tools I've collected along the way. However, ultimately Lemonade Mantras teaches you how to write a positive affirmation. A type of mantra you personally design so as to rewire one of your negative thoughts.

Positive thinking isn't magic. Your life isn't all of sudden going to become rainbows and moonbeams. Rather what most people miss when disparaging the concept of positive thinking is that by using a thought which turns your natural reaction on its head you've in fact interrupted negative energy. And the more you interrupt your negative energy with things like positive thoughts, yoga, meditation, prayer, physical exercise, and activities that promote flow the more room you make in your life for the gift of grace.

I'm going to spend the next four weeks explaining 4 steps from my book Lemonade Mantras so you can see how this process works. If you want more detail, you can always download Lemonade Mantras for free here or watch my video series on Youtube.

To see all 4 Steps from the blog series click here. 

How to Make a Concrete Observation


Step 1 is both the easiest and the hardest. It's easy to understand, but often difficult to believe in. I've provided an infographic to help you understand this step. First you need to notice when you're feeling angry or frustrated about something happening your life. This is called a Trigger Event.

Here is an excerpt from Lemonade Mantras that explains how to make a concrete observation after you've experienced a challenging event in your life:

******

A neutral or concrete observation answers the questions: who, what, where, when, how long, how often, what was said, or what was done. It does not answer the question “Why?” Your observation is a factual statement, one that helps you distinguish what is most real, as opposed to the emotionally charged storyline your mind chooses to create.

To make a concrete observation, write a description of what first pops into your head and then edit the sentence down to its most basic form. Imagine you are writing the directions for actors in a play. Keep it simple, clear, precise, and eliminate emotional content.


******

To see more examples for making a concrete observation, download and read the first chapter of my free ebook Lemonade Mantras.

For more tips about making a concrete observation, watch these videos:

2 comments:

  1. I agree 100% with this.. There are countless times that people put too much emotion into what they say, do, and also observe... I guess that's the illogical side of humans...Some will say that if facts are just involved, the one informing lacks sympathy, feeling, etc...but for me, the who, what, where, why and how works.. Logic is the only thing that works.. Emotion simply eases the facts or can make the facts more harsh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Logic is something that sounds cold, but it's always so interesting to me how when you strip a perception of emotion things are actually very simple. In the beginning I resisted letting go of my emotions. Now many times I find myself laughing when I read my concrete observation.

      Delete

I'd love for you to share your ideas and stories on my blog! Please know that I may not always be able to e-mail you a direct response, so be sure to check back to my blog and continue the dialogue. Many blessings for connecting with me through word and image :)