5.30.2014

Mind & Body Wellness: Buddhist Prayer of Forgiveness

Buddhist Prayer of Forgiveness by Beth Hemmila


Several years ago a friend shared a Buddhist prayer of forgiveness with me. He was leaving our practice group, and he prayed this aloud for the circle as a goodbye. I thought it was so beautiful and remembered thinking, "I wonder what would happen if someone prayed these words every night."

I got distracted and never actually took on the practice of this prayer, but the beauty of it still haunts me. What would our relationships and communities look like if we were inviting this prayer into our lives once a day?

Of all the practices I've engaged in, forgiveness has been the most powerful and life transforming. Some people only practice forgiveness when they are face-to-face with it -- when life forces them to choose between holding onto something or letting go.

After writing the book Be Forgiveness, a five-step process for learning how to forgive, I see myself do it almost daily in small and big ways. Forgiveness is a path of liberation not just for you, but for all who are connected directly or indirectly to you. When you engage in forgiveness, you are lifting up more than you could ever imagine.

If I have harmed anyone in any way either knowingly or unknowingly through my own confusions I ask their forgiveness.

If anyone has harmed me in any way either knowingly or unknowingly through their own confusions I forgive them.

And if there is a situation I am not yet ready to forgive, I forgive myself for that.

For all the ways that I harm myself, negate, doubt, belittle myself, judge or be unkind to myself through my own confusions I forgive myself. 

- unknown source

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love for you to share your ideas and stories on my blog! Please know that I may not always be able to e-mail you a direct response, so be sure to check back to my blog and continue the dialogue. Many blessings for connecting with me through word and image :)