7.23.2014

Camping & Hiking Nevada's Ruby Mountains

Camping and Hiking Nevada's Ruby Mountains by Beth Hemmila



Ever since moving to Nevada, I've wanted to visit the Ruby Mountains. Last weekend I took a spontaneous road trip and camped at Thomas Canyon in the Ruby Mountains of the Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest. What took me so long?



Camping and Hiking Nevada's Ruby Mountains by Beth Hemmila



The Ruby Mountains are considered Nevada's answer to Yosemite, and they aren't kidding. This place is gorgeous! Every view is jaw-dropping. The best part about this Nevada secret -- it isn't overrun with crowds of people so it still has sense of wilderness.



Camping Thomas Canyon and Hiking Nevada's Ruby Mountains by Beth Hemmila



Thomas Canyon Campground is intimate too. Nestled along creek beds, I was lucky enough to snag a campsite along the water's edge.


Camping Thomas Canyon and Hiking Nevada's Ruby Mountains by Beth Hemmila



The campground is characterized by aspen trees, wildflowers, and lots of little critters. I spent one day just relaxing in private cove by the creek, taking dips in the cool water, watching birds, and reading a book.



Camping and Hiking Nevada's Ruby Mountains by Beth Hemmila



Even though I only had the weekend, I still got to do a couple of hikes. The most spectacular one was hiking the Ruby Crest trail.



Camping and Hiking Ruby Crest Trail Lamoille Lake Nevada's Ruby Mountains by Beth Hemmila



Easy enough for all ages and abilities, the Ruby Crest trail offers a glimpse of meadows, creeks, wildflowers, and alpine lakes. This is a picture of Lamoille Lake -- a place that was worth stopping by for a swim and picnic lunch.

A couple days was not enough time, so I will definitely be coming back to the Ruby Mountains next year.

Little Unknown Facts about the Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest
  • 6.3 million acres (the largest national forest in the contiguous United States)
  • Nevada is the most mountainous state in the contiguous United States
  • The forest encompasses 80,000-100,000 archeological sites

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love for you to share your ideas and stories on my blog! Please know that I may not always be able to e-mail you a direct response, so be sure to check back to my blog and continue the dialogue. Many blessings for connecting with me through word and image :)